Pages

Friday, February 10, 2012

Frugal Friday

I am on a frugal fast so I ran to Costco to pick up brown sugar, FiberOne cereal for toddler, preserves to put in homemade yogurt, and milk.  Now I am on a cooking frenzy to make applesauce, french toast, and brownies for my kids' dessert for date night.  The applesauce will be used for oil in baked goods since I am running low.  Strategic planning is keeping my frugality in check this month.

That being said I had to give you the recipe to the most awesome muffins.

Sweet Potato Chocolate Chip Muffins

1 2/3 c. whole wheat flour
1 c. sugar
1 heaping teaspoon cinnamon
1 tsp. cloves
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt

Sift dry ingredients.  Add the following:

2 large eggs
1. c. sweet potato ( I used the leftovers from when the kids' wouldn't eat their sweet potato one night.  It had a cinnamon sugar mixture added with butter)
1/2 c. coconut oil

Mix well.  You may need to add a little water at this stage to make them more like muffin batter.

Mix in 1 c. chocolate chips.

Oh, my.  These were delicious and I would have to say pretty healthy.  They made approximately 15 muffins.

Bake at 350 for 20-22 minutes.

I am trying to eliminate waste in our house so we are pretty much using only what we have.  I am having to add things to make a menu plan but overall this month I have easily spent under a hundred dollars for six people.  I know its only the 9th but this is much lower than it should be since we ate out of our stockpile last month.  The fridge and freezer look mighty empty but I have meal ideas for what we have on hand.  Check by Monday to see what we will be eating with my leftover of a stockpile.


No comments:

Post a Comment