Pages

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Thrifty Thursday

You may have thought that I have given up this blog.  That is not the case.  I simply have put into practice the many frugal practices I read about on the internet.

Have you ever found yourself reading blog after blog on frugal practices and said to yourself I just do not have time for that?  That man or woman has too much time on their hands if they are making their own yogurt and bread, repairing clothes, or cooking dinner from scratch.  I found myself saying that more and more and so I decided to do an audit of my time.  I found that I had the same twenty-four hours as everyone else.  What did you just say?  Yes.  I have the same amount of time as you do.

I found that I spent a lot of time reading about frugality but not actually taking the time to practice what I was learning.  The last two weeks I have spent time learning some of those frugal skills.  For instance, I made a copy of Cinnabon rolls after lusting after them at a local restaurant.  Those rolls were worth every fattening calorie.  I plugged holes in our personal finances.  I have tagged and taken clothes to a local children's consignment shop even though I detest that chore.  What I have come to realize is that action is sometimes better than reading?  You sometimes get greater results from activity than passive learning.

I would like to challenge you to take on a new skill each week.  Try and work outside your comfort zone.  I will hopefully post a linky on next Thursday's post so that we can all learn from each other.  Let's not simply talk about frugality but walk the walk as they say.

Next week I will attempt to hem a pair of blue jeans I absolutely love but are too long.  I tried them on at the thrift store and am dying to wear them.  After this next consignment sale take-in on Saturday, I will have time free next Wednesday to try hemming the pants.  Wish me luck! ;-)


2 comments:

  1. I make myself stop reading blogs if I haven't done some of the things yet. Comes in handy with recipes...I tend to collect them and then never make the recipes!

    Good for you for realizing this.

    By the way I hemmed a pair of jeans using a method like this: http://www.ehow.com/how_7995731_hem-jeans-sewing-machine-cutting.html

    That's not the exact tutorial, but something like that and it worked perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so true! It's so easy to get caught up in reading about, rather than doing. I can't wait for the linky party next week! Your newest follower! Blessings from Bama!

    ReplyDelete