Pages

Friday, March 12, 2010

Frugal Fridays

When I look at the Frugal Friday links, it makes me feel good to be part of this online community where frugality is celebrated and appreciated. After reading Heavenly Homemaker's Frugal Friday, I realized that I needed to be more aware of how I present my own frugality. I feel there is a difference in being frugal and being cheap. Frugal living, to me, means I am careful of my money so that it allows me the resources to be able to help those in need. I do this each month to a significant degree so I am satisfied that my priorities are in line.

On to my Frugal Friday tip! I am on the Weight Watchers maintenance plan. Each night I fix a meal that is allowed on the plan. I make a note to go ahead and weigh out my portion for the next day's lunch. If it is a meal that my kids particularly enjoy, I also go ahead and make them a portion to reheat for their next day's lunch. I microwave it in the morning as hot as I can get it and then put the portion in a thermos. Nothing is wasted. My preschooler and toddler gets any small leftovers with a fruit added to round out the meal. I am never at a loss as to what we are having the next day.

By having a plan and sticking with it, I save a ton of money. I am never tempted by the drive thru because I know 1.) it is unhealthy and 2.) expensive with four kids. The kids know I will not stop for a drive thru on the spur of the moment whim. Every meal we eat out has been planned, and the kids are told prior to going to the restaurant. This is a habit so the kids rarely ask to go to McDonalds, Burger King, or Chick-Fil-A. This works for us.

*This tip is linked to Frugal Fridays www.lifeasmom.com

No comments:

Post a Comment