Pages

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Thrifty Thursday

My kitchen overfloweth.  Is that even a word?  My mom's freezer was too full to receive a deer my dad had managed to shoot, and I became the happy recipient of some of their freezer's contents.  How exciting!

I love it when things like this happen.  Instead of throwing away the food, I will make a menu plan and save my grocery money to pay down the mortgage.  We might have some interesting menu selections just due to the randomness of it all but that is what makes life interesting.  I will try to post my menu next Monday so that you can see what we will be having with our varied selections.

On another note, my fridge is also overflowing.  I am in a food co-op where I pay $38.00 and I get a laudry basket full of fruits and vegetables.  At first, I wasn't sure if we would eat all of the choices.  I decided I would try it and see if I could challenge myself to step out of the box and eat things I hadn't tried before.  I was pleasantly surprised.  I haven't always been successful in preparing a couple of the items but through the co-op, I have found that we are eating better.  Three out of my four kids now choose fruit for a snack.  I personally find this wonderful. 

If you have the opportunity to do this in your community, I would strongly encourage you to do so.  It has been a wonderful addition to our diet.

No comments:

Post a Comment